This listing is for Styx - Cornerstone Vinyl LP Record Album SP-3711.
Label: A&M Records – SP-3711
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
Style: Classic Rock, Pop Rock, Symphonic Rock
Condition: Jacket: Good (some edge wear) Vinyl: Very Good
A1 Lights 4:37
A2 Why Me 3:53
A3 Babe 4:26
A4 Never Say Never 3:07
A5 Boat On The River 3:10
B1 Borrowed Time 4:58
B2 First Time 4:23
B3 Eddie 4:15
B4 Love In The Midnight 5:22
Cornerstone is the ninth studio album by Styx, released in 1979. Cornerstone was Styx's follow-up to their second consecutive Top 10 selling Triple Platinum album in a row, 1978's Pieces of Eight.
Like the four previous Styx albums, the band produced the album themselves once again. However, the band started using a new recording studio Pumpkin Studios in Oak Lawn, Illinois. Plus, the album was the first where the band shied away from the art-rock/prog-rock influences that dominated their first eight studio albums and was the band's first move towards a more pop/rock direction (band member Dennis DeYoung stated in a 2009 interview that the change in direction came from reading bad reviews the group got in the rock press while on their first tour of England).
Dennis DeYoung had two ballads on the album. The first was the album's first single and Styx's only US #1 single "Babe" which Dennis wrote for his wife Suzanne. The track was performed and recorded as a demo with just him and the Panozzo brothers but then James Young and Tommy Shaw heard the track and decided to put it on Cornerstone with Shaw overdubbing a guitar solo in the song's middle section. Another ballad was the power ballad "First Time" which was intended to be Cornerstone's second single (radio stations were playing it and got such a response that A&M wanted it out) until Shaw complained and threatened to leave the band. "Borrowed Time" was released instead, reaching a disappointing #63 on the charts. DeYoung also wrote the Top 30 hit, the poppish "Why Me", which was the third single release from the album. Dennis predominantly used a Fender Rhodes electric piano on over half of the tracks. Also, the group used real horns and strings on the album on several tracks.
DeYoung and Shaw co-wrote two tracks. The opening "Lights" was music by DeYoung and Shaw with lyrics by Shaw (who also sang the track). The rocking "Borrowed Time" had music by DeYoung (intro) and Shaw with lyrics from DeYoung (who sang this track). "Borrowed Time" would open concerts on the group's tour in support of Cornerstone nicknamed The Grand Decathlon tour.
Shaw's famous song on the album was the folkish "Boat on the River", which became the band's biggest European hit. He also penned the pop-rocker "Never Say Never" and the epic proggish closer "Love in the Midnight," which has been sampled to create the hip-hop song "The Streets Been Good to Me" by the artist Maino, on the album "Death before Dishonor".
JY contributed the rocker "Eddie", which was about Edward Kennedy, pleading with him not to make a run for the U.S. presidency. Cornerstone became Styx's first US Top 5 album peaking at #2 on the Billboard album chart and is currently sitting at Double Platinum according to the R.I.A.A. although A&M said it went Triple Platinum (3 million copies sold in the US).
Styx is an American rock band from Chicago that became famous for its albums from the mid-1970s and early 1980s. They are best known for melding the style of pop rock with the power of hard-rock guitar, strong ballads and elements of international musical theater.
Styx is best known for the hit songs "Lady" (#6, 1973), "Come Sail Away" (#8, 1977), "Babe" (#1, 1979), "The Best of Times" (#3, 1981), "Too Much Time on My Hands" (#9, 1981) and "Mr. Roboto" (#3, 1983). Other hits include "Show Me the Way" (#3, 1990), "Don't Let It End" (#6, 1983), "Renegade" (#16, 1979) and "Boat on the River", a big hit in much of Europe and Japan. The band has five consecutive albums certified multi-platinum by the RIAA. as well as sixteen top 40 singles in the US.
I base the condition of each of my Records off of Ebay's Grading System.
• MINT (M) Looks new and unplayed. Very high vinyl luster and no noticeable label defects. Sounds new. With 45rpm records, this does not always mean there is no surface noise at all.
• NEAR MINT (NM) Looks almost new, but has some minor flaws such as a drill hole; unobtrusive writing on label (e.g., an X on a promo copy); minor scuffing on vinyl; minor color flaking on label, or other insignificant flaws that only slightly detract from visual appeal. May have some minor surface noise, but nothing distracting.
• VERY GOOD (VG) There may be light scuffing and some of the original vinyl luster may be lost. The vinyl and label may appear used, but well cared for. Records may have some more obvious flaws that are not visually degrading such as a sticker on the label; more noticeable writing on the label; scuffing and minor scratches on the vinyl; or minor discoloration of the label. There may be very minor warping of the vinyl. There may be a slight scratch not affecting play.
• GOOD (G) Record has visible signs of handling and playing, such as loss of vinyl luster, minor surface scratches, groove wear, and audible surface noise. Appears well used but not abused. May have a few major flaws, such as scratches, label tears, or stickers, and/or writing.
• FAIR (F) Appears well used and somewhat abused. Audio is not great due to surface noise and scratches. The record may have a stick or a skip. Records in this condition are those you might purchase to fill a hole in your collection until a better copy comes along.
• POOR (P) Well played with little luster and significant surface noise, but still not cracked or broken. Record likely skips and/or sticks. Typically so bad looking that a true “collector” would just toss it out. More useful as a Frisbee. I try not to sell records in this condition.
Please see our other listings as we have many related items and various other treasures you may be interested in!!! I do combine winning auctions for savings on shipping and try to keep shipping charges as close to accurate as possible. Thanks for visiting our listings and especially for bidding!!!
PLEASE DISREGARD EBAY 'S DATABASE RESULTS ON BOOKS AS THEY ARE OFTEN INCORRECT EDITIONS OR VERSIONS. I PROVIDE THE DETAILS REGARDING EACH ITEM IN THE ITEM DESCRIPTION. PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION THAT I PROVIDE BEFORE PURCHASING.
We try to describe the items details as accurately as possible. However, if you are completely unsatisfied, you may return the item for a refund (this would be the cost of your purchase, not for any shipping costs). You must notify us within 14 days of receiving the item, ship them back to us at your own cost, and it must arrive in the condition that we have sent it to you. Return Shipping costs are non-refundable. Upon receipt of the items received, we will promptly refund your money. If you do encounter a problem, please contact us to let us know, so that we can try to work things out first. Thanks! Once again, please be advised international buyers, custom forms will be filled out correctly and you are responsible for duties, taxes, and the such related to your purchase and shipment of your package. Delays thru customs are out of our control, and your package may take several weeks or longer in some cases, to arrive depending where its going to. Please be patient awaiting for your package to arrive, thanks! Also returns must be returned postmarked no later than 14 days after received.
I have included picture/pictures of this item and all pictures are of the item(s) you will be receiving (we dont use stock photos unless eBay inserts them in on us), but if for some reason you are unable to view it, please email me and I will be happy to email them to you. Please check out my other listings as I usually have related items listed and will combine shipping to save costs for you! Thanks for stopping by and purchase with confidence!
Grading/Condition Definitions: We are not experts by any means in anything we sell. Most of our stuff is used unless otherwise noted. That being said, grading or condition is a subjective matter. I try to be conservative in my description and grading/condition details so that you get better than you expect, but as the saying goes, "You can't please ALL the people ALL the time!" If you are super particular about condition either ASK A QUESTION BEFORE PURCHASE or move on to someone else (neither of us need the headaches). Bottomline, I try to insure that what's listed is something I would want in my collection and of good/fair quality, otherwise, I wont sell it. Ultimately, if you're not satisfied, see the return policy above!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS!
for more great items!