Here for your delectation is the SPECTACULAR & RARE--------------- MAD MAGAZINE NO. 286 /APRIL 1989.
THE FAMOUS ISSUE with THE BEATLES and 21 JUMP STREET !!
Mad #286 April 1989
- Cover Artist: Richard Williams
- Cover Writer: Sergio Aragones
- Thirty-Suffering (TV Satire)
- If Bad Taste Took a Holiday
- Really Appropriate Sponsors for Rock Tours
- The Name Game of the Rich and Famous
- Paul Peter Porges -- It's Safe to go to the Bathroom When...
- Duck Edwing -- Contemplates Suicide
- Sergio Aragones -- Hand-Me-Down, Pot Luck
- The Moron Downer Jr. Show (TV Satire)
- Guys You're Likely to Meet Before Mr. "Right"
- When TV Commercials Make Full Use of The Beatles Songs
- You'd Be Rich If You Had a Nickle...
- 21 Junkheap (TV Satire)
- Personal Ads That Remind Us of Somebody We Know
- Spy Vs. Spy
- Al Jaffee Fold-In -- What is the latest, most terrible form of radio activity?
- Back Cover -- A Mad Fish Story
Mad is an influential American humor magazine founded by editor Harvey Kurtzman and publisher William Gaines in 1952. The last surviving title from the notorious and critically acclaimed EC Comics line, the magazine offers satire on all aspects of American life and pop culture , politics, entertainment, and public figures. Its format is divided into a number of recurring segments such as TV and movie parodies , as well as freeform articles. Mad's mascot, Alfred E. Neuman , is typically the focal point of the magazine's cover, with his faceoften replacing a celebrity or character that is lampooned within the issue.
Comics historian Tom Spurgeon picked Mad as the medium's top series of all time, writing, "At the height of its influence, Mad was The Simpsons , The Daily Show and The Onion combined." Graydon Carter chose it as the sixth best magazine of any sort ever, describing Mad's mission as being "ever ready to pounce on the illogical, hypocritical, self-serious and ludicrous" before concluding, "Nowadays, it?s part of the oxygen we breathe." Joyce Carol Oates called it "wonderfully inventive, irresistibly irreverent and intermittently ingenious American." Monty Python's Terry Gilliam wrote, " Mad became the Bible for me and my whole generation." Critic Roger Ebert wrote:
- I learned to be a movie critic by reading Mad magazine... Mad's parodies made me aware of the machine inside the skin?of the way a movie might look original on the outside, while inside it was just recycling the same old dumb formulas. I did not read the magazine, I plundered it for clues to the universe. Pauline Kael lost it at the movies; I lost it at Mad magazine.
Rock singer Patti Smith said more succinctly, "After Mad, drugs were nothing."
This is the stated Volume 1, Number 286 Edition from APRIL 1989. Both the cover and the magazine are in excellent condition. There are no rips, tears, markings, etc.---and the pages and binding are tight (see photo). **Note: All books listed as FIRST EDITIONS are stated by the publisher in words or number lines--or-- only stated editions that include only the publisher and publication date. Check my feedback to see that I sell exactly as I describe. So bid soon for this magnificent, impossible-to-find HUMOR MAGAZINE COLLECTIBLE.
I gladly accept Paypal. I will ship internationally for additional charges.
ALL OF MY LISTINGS ARE BETTER THAN AN AUCTION!!
IF YOU SEEK OUT INCENTIVES LIKE FREE SHIPPING---TRY THIS INSTEAD!!! CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY!!!!
IF THE LISTED PRICE IS A BIT OUT OF YOUR PRICE RANGE, CHECK BEST OFFER AND STATE THE REASONABLE PRICE YOU WOULD LIKE TO PAY---CHANCES ARE THE ITEM WILL BE YOURS--IMMEDIATELY!!
(Sometimes I even accept unreasonable offers!)
DON'T JUST BROWSE!!! THIS IS THE ITEM YOU SEARCHED FOR---AND IT COULD BE YOURS FOR THE PRICE YOU WOULD LIKE!!
NO WAITING FOR AN AUCTION TO END!!
WANT TO SEE MORE LIKE THIS?? FOR EXTRA-SPECIAL SAVINGS
BARRYS BARGAIN BIN (CLICK HERE-- )
THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE TITLES (no duplication) ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY FIRST EDITIONS !
IN ALL GENRES AND FORMATS (lps, 45s, 78s, and cassettes)
ASSORTED RARE CURIOSITIES
(except death and taxes)
MAKE ME AN OFFER I CAN'T REFUSE!! (NO HORSE'S HEAD IN THE BED, PLEASE!)
ALL REASONABLE OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!
(EVEN THE OCCASIONAL UNREASONABLE OFFER)
Be sure to add me to your