Denomination ....50 Dollars
Samuel Sharpe, national hero and morning glory on front. Samuel Sharpe was an educated town slave who became leader of the native Baptist church in Montego Bay, and used religious meetings to organize activities for the slaves. Sharpe expressed his concerns about events in England which affected the slaves and Jamaica, and devised a plan of passive resistance in which the slaves would refuse to work on Christmas Day of 1831 and afterwards, unless their grievances were heard and accepted by the estate owners and managers. When some of the planters heard of Sharpe's plan, troops and warships were sent to Montego Bay and Black River. On 27 December 1831, Kensington Estate Great House, in St James, was set on fire. This signaled the start of the slave rebellion which lasted eight days and resulted in the deaths of 14 whites and more than 500 slaves. On 23 May 1832, Sam Sharpe was hanged at the parade in Montego Bay, now renamed Sam Sharpe Square.
Doctor's Cave Beach, Montego Bay on reverse. The world-famous Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, Jamaica, was originally owned by Dr. Alexander James McCathy. He and his father, who was also a physician, as well as other medical friends , had used the beach as a spa. Access to the beach was through a cave. For that reason, it became widely known as the Doctor's Cave. In 1906, Dr. McCathy donated the property to be used as a public beach.
Note size: 144 x 68mm. Wmk: Pineapple.
Printer: Thomas de la Rue (TDLR), England. Catalog value
$4.00. See my other notes from this country. Image is not
exact note in lot.
NEVER A RESERVE !!
- Postage for 1 or more lots the same - combine and save!
- U.S. - $1.00
- International - $2.00
- Banknotes shipped with receipt of check or PayPal confirmation.
- International orders welcome! Uncirculated local currency for payment appreciated.
Seller's Other Items
Zimbabwe P90, 50 Trillion Dollars,water buffalo $7.50CV$6.00
Viet Nam, South P31a, 100 Dong, water buffalo $5 CAT$5.50
Philippines P105a, 50 Centavo, JIM note$1.40
Mexico P64c, 20 Pesos, Morelos/Quetzalcoatl pyramid$3.00
Uganda P43, 1000 Shilling, farmer with hoe $3CV$4.00
Chile P134Aa 1/2 Escudo, O'Higgins / explorer on horse$3.00
Slovenia P1a, 1 Tolar, mountain ridge, 1st issue!$3.00
Burma P14b, 1 Rupee JIM note, temples, 1942$2.00
Tunisia P70, 1 Dinar,welder, lath $12.50 CV!$11.00
Guatemala P109, 1 Quetzal, Quetzal bird, 2008, POLYMER$2.50
Gibraltar P20e, 1 Pound, Queen / Covenant $12+CV!$9.00
Romania P101b, 500 Lei, ALIEN sculpture!!$2.75
Spain P144, 1 Pesetas, Spainish Galleon 1953 $6CV$8.00
Zimbabwe P-91, 100 Trillion Dollars, water buffalo$5.00
Yugoslavia P-104 to 107, 50-1000 Dinara 4 note set$2.00
Philippines P153a, 2 Piso, KKK $3CV$3.75
- dominican rep. p182, 20 pesos, pantheon, 2009 polymer $7.00 Free Shipping
- ecuador p123ac, 100 sucres, simon bolizar $5 cv! $4.99 Free Shipping
- bermuda, $2, p57 hybrid, qe ii, bluebird / clock tower $8.35 Free Shipping
- federation of n. america, 2 ameros, up bridge, polymer $4.50 Free Shipping
- cuba p128,1 peso, 2009, josé martí / castro on tank. $2.85 Shipping Included
- cuba p121e,1 peso, 2008, josé martí / castro on tank. $2.85 Free Shipping