The ring was initially presented to senior officers of the Old Guard (of which there were fewer than 5,000) who had displayed extraordinary valor and leadership skill in battle. An additional requirement was a clean disciplinary record, and a subsequent blemish on it would require the wearer to return the ring. By 1939, disciplinary issues aside, it was available to any officer with 3 years service in the SS, and in WWII virtually the entire SS leadership, including the Waffen-SS and Gestapo, had the ring.
On October 17, 1944 production of the rings by Gahr & Co. of Munich was cancelled due to the increasing economic stresses of the final stages of the war. The rings were cast using the lost-wax process, with the recipients name, the award date, and Himmler's signature engraved on the interior of each ring.
In addition every recipient got a standard letter of Himmler which described the meaning of the ring. The name of the recipient and the conferment date was added on the letter.
In 1938 Himmler ordered the return of all rings of dead SS-men and officers to be stored in a chest in Wewelsburg Castle. This was to symbolize the ongoing membership of the decedent in the SS-order. [1 ]
The ring shows skull and crossed bones - the SS symbol - on its top. The skull (or Totenkopf) was the traditional symbol of the SS, taken from other German and Prussian military units of the past.
The meaning of the skull described in Himmler's accompanying letter, literally:
"The skull is the monition to be prepared anytime to risk the life of our own I for the life of the entity."
Armanen runes appear prominently on the ring.
- One Sig Rune left and right of the skull framed by a triangle represent the lightning flash runes of the Schutzstaffel.
- A Hagal rune (framed by a hexagon) which represents the faith and camaraderie that was idealised by the leaders of the organisation. The esoteric meaning of the Hagal rune according to Guido von List: "Enclose the universe in you and you control the universe".
- A Swastika (standing on the vertex) framed by a quadrat. The SS liked to portray the Swastika as another influential symbol of the power of the Aryan race.
- The runes on the rear of the ring framed by a circle were to be Heilszeichen (literally: signs of salvation) of the past. They were a creation of the SS designers rather than historical runes. They have similarities with a double Sig rune and a Tiwaz rune. The Tiwaz rune is interpreted as a kind of battle rune. The rune-group symbolizes the family tradition of Wiligut. [2 ]
The ring is wreathed with oak leaves.
On the inside of the ring was engraved the name of the bearer, initial followed by full surname, the date of presentation, and a facsimile of Himmler's signature, plus the abbreviations S Lb. for "Seinem Lieben" or "to his dear (name)...' Recipients also received a specially designed box decorated with the SS runes for storage or carrying.
Luftschutz Civil Defence Medal 2nd Class - 3rd Reich$32.00
Croix de Guerre Medal with Bronze Star 1939 - WW 2$43.00
Real Damascus Folding Knife 13,6 cm ( 6,1 x 7,5 cm )$57.00
Wehrmacht Water Bottle 1939 - 3rd Reich - Nazi - WW 2$52.00
US Army Enlisted Female Hat Badge - 2$16.50
Waffen SS Shield Lapel Stick Gold Pin - 3rd Reich WW 2$26.00
Iron Cross+Eastern Front Medal+Sudetenland Medal Bars$37.00
US Army Enlisted Female Hat Badge - 1Make Offer
Romanian Crusade Against Communism Medal 1941 WW 2$61.00
Burma Star Campaign Medal 1941-45 - UK - WW 2 #2$39.00
Waffen SS Anti Partisan Gold Badge - 3rd Reich - WW 2$32.00
Wehrmacht Drivers Proficiency Badge Gold - 3rd Reich 3$37.00
DRL Sport Badge - Bronze - denazified - 3rd Reich WW 2d$36.00
SS Personal Member Lapel Pin - 3rd Reich - WW 2$25.00
Real Damascus Knife 19 cm ( 9 x 10 cm ) #02$74.00
France and German Star Campaign Medal 1944-45 - WW 2$52.00
- ww2 nazi german waffen ss belt buckle $25.00 Free Shipping
- ww2 nazi germany waffen ss elite officer's brocade belt $39.99 Free Shipping
- ww2 totenkopf death head silver ring with waffen motto $44.99 Free Shipping
- ww2 waffen ss skull visor cap badge $14.99 Free Shipping
- german ww2 hitler pocket knife "meine ehre heist treue" $20.00 Free Shipping
- german ww2 lighter nazi eagle oil lighters kerosene $31.99 Free Shipping